Strawberry frozen yogurt

>> Sunday, January 10, 2010



I had nearly a full carton of strawberries left after this weekend and knew I would let them go to waste during the work week if I didn't find a use for them tonight.  I opted for strawberry frozen yogurt and am so very pleased that I did. A pretty healthy desert for the upcoming week, I have made use of the strawberries in the most delicious way. All you need to make strawberry frozen yogurt is: 

1 pound strawberries, rinsed and hulled (I had a little less than this but that's ok)
2/3 cup sugar
optional: 2 teaspoons vodka
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt or Greek yogurt (a staple in my house)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Slice the strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka (if using) until the sugar begins to dissolve. Toss in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

Transfer the strawberries and their juice to a blender or food processor. Add the yogurt and fresh lemon juice. Pulse the machine until the mixture is smooth. If you wish, press mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds for a creamy finish.

Chill for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.  If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can place in a metal mixing bowl  in the freezer.  After about 30 minutes, check the ice cream to see if the edges have started to freeze.  If they have (or whenever they do) mix thoroughy. Check and repeat every 30 minutes until the yogurt is frozen and delicious. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Arlene Mobley January 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Great post and it couldn't have come at a better time for me. I made some homemade yogurt this weekend with the intention of making some frozen yogurt for my family. I don't have an ice cream maker and was wondering how to make it without one.

I'll have to get some strawberries fast. What with the freezing temps here in Florida the price of fruit will probably skyrocket.

Post a Comment

Search!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP