Sweet Crepes with Maple Pumpkin Butter

>> Tuesday, December 29, 2009


In the kitchen poking around when I got up, I decided to whip myself up a plate of crepes for breakfast.  Crepes are similar to pancakes, but the original unlevened version originally brought to America by the first English settlers in the seventeenth century. I first made my batter then got on the phone with my mom... I was starving by the time we stopped gabbing so had to quickly cook up the crepes before I passed out!

Crepes are pretty simple to make but may seem daunting as they are so thin they seem like they would be hard to work with. Quite the contrary, actually, crepes thin consistency makes them quick to cook and easy to work with. 

To make the batter for crepes, you need:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 luke warm water
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 pinch salt
Blend the above ingredients together in a blender or food processor and cover tightly and let sit for 30 minutes. 

In a crepe pan or shallow frying pan, lightly butter and begin cooking your crepes. You only need two to three tablespoons of batter per crepe.  Spoon the batter into the pan, remove from the medium-low heat and tilt the pan around to evenly cover the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of batter. Return to heat and let cook for 30 seconds to one minute. The best way to flip your crepe is to gently lift an edge using a thin spatula and gently lifting with your fingers to turn over.  The crepes are a little hot but not too hot to touch.

Once you have your first crepe done, place on a wax paper covered plate in the oven at 250 degrees to keep warm.  You may want to leave the door standing open a little ways so your crepes don't continue to cook.  Repeat this process until you finish your batter. This recipe makes 8 - 10 pretty large crepes.

These basic sweet crepes can be topped off with a fruit compote, butter or syrup. Today, I decided to enjoy my crepes with a maple pumpkin butter and toss blueberries over top. You too can make great crepes if you just get in the kitchen and give it a try.  Enjoy! 

3 comments:

Unknown December 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

Those look so great :) I love crepes!

Emily December 29, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

Thanks Hilary! They were delicious!

marla (Family Fresh Cooking) December 30, 2009 at 6:54 AM  

Yes crepes do seem daunting! I always feel like I will tear them. Thanks for the recipe and the encouragement!

Post a Comment

Search!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP