Pancetta mini quiche

>> Sunday, February 21, 2010

Quiche is a food best enjoyed at anytime during the day. A perfect dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner; and when made in mini form, a great snack as well. Laying in bed this morning thinking about the day, I decided I would whip up a tray of mini quiche to fuel the morning and carry me through to dinner.

As I puttered into the kitchen in my PJ's I went to browse the refridgerator to see what kind of quiche I would be making. A genius new combination, in my kitchen anyways, emerged one ingredient at a time.  My basic rule of thumb with any quiche is 3 eggs per pie for a full size quiche, or 3 eggs per two trays of mini quiche (24 total little cuties). Eggs, heavy cream and cheese make the base of the quiche and you can add in vegitables, fresh herbs and meats to your liking.

I decided to make a pancetta quiche with scallions and cilantro.  This salty Italian meat replaces the need for seasonings when paired with the peppery taste provided by the cilantro.

The full ingredient list included:

3 eggs
Heavy cream (I just eyeball this)
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 bunch scallions
1 package pancetta meat, chopped
1 handfull cilantro, chopped
Fillo (phyllo) dough

In a mixing bowl, break and whisk your eggs, and add in cream, a couple handfulls of mozzaerlla, scallions and cilantro.  Mix together and add more cream as needed to make the consistancy thick and creamy. 

In a small skillet, brown the pancetta meat over medium heat.  Remove from the stove and and let cool completely before adding to the quiche mixture.

With your fillo dough, unroll the layered sheet and cut into a 12 square grid to match the mini quiche pans.  Working one-by-one, take a freshely cut square of fillo dough and split the stack of layers in half, to fill the first pot in the pan.  Use the second half of the dough to fill the first pot of the second mini quiche pan.  Repeat until you have two quiche pans (24 total) fitted with fillo dough.

With the pancetta cooled, add into the mixture and stir together.  Working carefully, as to not spill the mixture outside the dough fitted pots, use a tablespoon to fill each with the mixture.  Do not overfill because your quiche will rise by 2/3.  Pop in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until golden on top and toothpick clean. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Claudia February 21, 2010 at 3:48 PM  

I love this idea - especially in the phyllo - once you said pancetta - I started playing in my mind. Yours look scrumptious.

penny aka jeroxie February 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

What a pretty dish! I love the use of phyllo. Much easier option :)

Sheskis February 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

How stunningly cute-Quiche never looked so good!

Post a Comment

Search!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP