Banana bread

>> Sunday, April 11, 2010

I was startled out of bed at 7 am when I heard what at the time I thought was the wrath of God but then remembered that Texas Stadium was being imploded. I was surprised I heard the series of explosions all the way at my house so double checking my sanity, I walked outside to see if it was about to rain (though I didn't think it was in the forcast). Up and about, I realized I was starving. Yesterday I worked all day long in my garden planting in the beds and patio containers. I even got motivated to roll a massive tree stump from my neighbors front yard after having a tree removed all the way to the very back corner of my back yard. Pretty much as soon as I pulled it off the curb into the street I regreted the effort I would have to put forth but managed to roll it back to where I wanted it and think it was definitely a genius move. I admit I am a little sore today. Those things are heavy!!

After inspecting all my work from yesterday, I went to the kitchen to start the day off with a cup of joe. Coffee brewing, I began to look around for what to cook for breakfast. With four bananas sitting sadly uneaten on the counter I decided to turn their browning little bodies into banana bread. I love making breakfast breads on Sunday mornings because I am set for the week with a delicious treat to take to work.

Banana bread is a simple to make and fills your home with cozy aromas. A perfect set up for coffee, the paper, Meet the Press and George. So, off I went pulling the basic ingredients from the pantry as follows:

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
Set oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Beat sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Drizzle in oil. Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts then pour into a lined loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until it passes the toothpick test. Let the bread cool slightly then seperate the loaf from pan with a knife. Carefully turn the loaf pan upside down to free the bread, keep covered with a towel to preserve freshness and moisture. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Paty Perman June 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

I need to try this recipe! I love making Banana Bread but I am a terrible cook :) Emily, your stuff looks amazing!! Love the great photos.

Post a Comment

Search!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP